List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Is it time to split or time to join?
From:       Otto =?iso-8859-1?q?Kek=E4l=E4inen?= <ottolist () kekalainen ! net>
Date:       2004-01-29 20:23:35

> Well, that is why I am not so conviced we need yet another additional
> entity here. Is it realy a separate project? Is it not more like a forum
> for non commercial Free Software System Integrators collaborating on
> various KDE and Debian system things. Suppose a new name is created, the
> success still depends on Debian and KDE and can only become mainstream if
> things get into upstream Debian beeing the largest Free GNU/Linux
> distribution.
>
> Main Goal: Coordination of Integration and Usability enhancements with more
> general benefits than those that have been done by several commercial
> distributions in the past.
>
> That is why I think it is preferable not to "incorporate" a separate name
> and just stick to be the "kde-debian group" with significant contributions
> to Debian (-Desktop),  KDE and the GPL software world in general.

I agree with this fully.

I real life, this should outcome two things:

Mainly some KDE-software, which is well integrated with Debian, packaged and
pushed into Debian stable/testing as fast as possible (for the benefit of
everybody).

Secondly, a Debian-KDE-live-CD (ala Morphix = desktop oriented, install 100%
Debian repository compatible) to promote our work.

If you work towards this, I'll give my efforts and money to you..

--
*** Otto Kekäläinen / Osuuskunta Sange *** otto.kekalainen@sange.fi ***
***       PL 197, 00131 Helsinki       ***      050 - 300 8105      ***