List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: we need a name and a homepage ! who volunteers ?
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2004-01-27 23:08:28

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 6:34 pm, Simon Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:04 pm, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > >
> > > Personally I'm not so keen on using the word 'enterprise' too often.
> > > Sure, businesses would be the first group to adopt and use the kinds of
> > > improvements that we are working on. But really it comes down to making
> > > a complete and highly usable desktop computer system. I find the word
> > > 'enterprise' _too_ business oriented.
> >
> > The title of Navindra's paper is "Conquering the Enterprise Desktop."
> > This whitepaper is what people signed, and I think we should use this as
> > our overall design doc.  It's the doc that galvanized support and brought
> > us all together.
>
> True, but... :)  But different people support this to different reasons.
> Some are more business oriented, others see this as more as "linux on the
> desktop", and not just the business desktop. I'm just saying that keeping
> it so focused on 'the enterprise' kind of limits the scoop a bit. I'd like
> to see this stuff used in government, schools (Skole linux!) and at home.

There's a ton of overlap with businesses, government and schools.  I don't see
that saying we support the enterprise rules these out.  With an annual budget
of over $1 million, our local elementry school is _by far_ the largest
enterprise in town.  :)

Hey, Debian Sarge Beta2 installed flawlessly on my Dell Laptop.  Time to
apt-get x-windows and see what happens if I debmake the sources in KDE's
tree.  Wouldn't it be nice if KDE 3.2 just builds on Sarge.  At my current
rate of progress, you might hear back from me in a couple weeks.  :(

Also, I heard there are Kolab debs--should we contact the author and offer
them our repository?  I've got the url written down somewhere ...

I installed ReKall the other day and it is pretty sweet.  There are currently
no debs.  There are currently no Access to rekall migration scripts :(  I
wonder if we could use mono as a way to help people re-use VBA scripts.

Regards,

Mark