List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       Daniel Stone <daniel () fooishbar ! org>
Date:       2004-01-19 22:50:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:57:21PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Daniel Stone writes:
> >> But services like apt-get.org aren't there for nothing.  Obviously
> >> there is currently a need for additional package reposititories.  I
> >> just wanted to get people's ideas how using such secondary
> >> repositories could be made easier.
>
> > Yeah, apt-get.org is useful, but it's a usability nightmare for
> > newbies.  What exactly is so bad about having one centralised
> > kde-debian repository?
>
> > We already have one - it's just that I'm the only one who's ever
> > uploaded anything (libapache2-mod-xslt and dbus), since no-one else
> > has bothered asking for access.
>
> I guess the problem is that there isn't really software that is only
> useful to KDE-Debian.  I mean, people will try to get most Debian
> packages they make, and I suppose that is a good thing too.
>
> Packages with only local relevance will only be uploaded to a simple
> quick fix Debian repository, like the one I have in
> http://www.debian.org/~domi/debian-kde-debug/.  I don't think it would
> belong in your main kde-debian repo either.
>
> Anyway, I just mean to ask this question: what kind of software would
> you suggest using your repo for ?

Whatever you want to upload that you might think is useful, but with the
project going the way it is, and a sum total of one unique package in
there, I may very well dismantle it soon.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel@fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,