List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       Marcin Pawlik <wapkil () o2 ! pl>
Date:       2004-01-19 20:14:31

On Mon, Jan 19 at 20:09, Kevin Krammer wrote:

[...]

>> Yes, you can specify different sources.list file location.
>
> Very good, didn't know that.
> So it would be possible to create a temporary sources.list file, merge
> in the base file, add a new source and proceed with apt-get update &&
> apt-get install package
>
> Will have to play with that :)

I haven't tried it but according to the manual
apt-get update -o Dir::Etc::SourceList=/path/to/the/file
should work.

>>> IMHO one of the major advantages of Debian is its fantastic
>>> package philosphy (small packages with dependencies)
>>
>> The second important advantage is its stability. If you use
>> unofficial repositories you give the repository creator root rights
>> on your machine. If there is, intentionally or not, something wrong
>> with it you risk loosing your system. The same goes of course for
>> manual .deb
>
> True, but this is already happing. A lot of people use unofficial
> repositories, that's why a service like apt-get.org was really sought
> for by many.

To add the repository they have to become root and edit the system file.
They know this is not a normal and safe operation. If you provide more
convenient option where the users are still aware that what they doing
is dangerous, it's acceptable.

[...]

> Good :)
> I'd say there could be two modes. The URL is processed and the checks
> if the package can be install run.  The user gets a list of what will
> happen, like running apt-get -u (optinally including -s) If the user
> confirms, the package and dependencies are installed.  Then the
> program could ask something like "Do you want to add this resource to
> your permanent source list. You can then get updates as if it where a
> system package but it might also introduce problems because it is an
> unproofed source" <Make permanent> <Discard>

I think that it would be better if instead of permanently adding it to
the default location another one is created for those repositories. This
way the package manager could easily switch between the "default" and
"unsafe repositories" modes offering possibility to use them only when
user wants to do so. But technically this is only a cosmetic change and
probably analogous behavior could be achieved with some wise package pin
settings.

Regards,

--
Marcin Pawlik