List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-01-19 12:55:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 January 2004 12:45, C. Gatzemeier wrote:

> Side note: Don't focus too much on giving  "gratis" stuff to proprietary
> software vendors. Their software doesn't have more value than ours. They
> just claim you pay for  a "product" (that they can copy at zero costs) not
> for the service and work to program it. Well, everybody dreams to win the
> lottery some day. With Free Software the user itself (we) decides how he
> values it, and it may be so high that we even contribute. After all we want
> to have more publically available and better Free Software. (also point and
> click of course) But lets not get distracted and always contribute to the
> right thing.

True, proprietary vendors just served as an example for a not-download source.
Having support for CDROMs might also be nice for people with slow connections.

> Have you looked how autopackage.org now does the dependency resolution over
> the net? For packages outside of debian it wouldn't hurt if they could be
> installed on any distribution. I think your apt-url idea is very good and
> could also fit there to find dependencies that are in scattered debian
> repositories.

Having support for autopackage wouldn't hurt, but the idea of this thread, as
far as I am concerned, is how apt sources could be encoded into an URI :)

But the autopackage idea of having additonal download URLs inside the package
is nice.
If we can encode an apt source into an URI, we could (don't have much
knowledge about dpkg, so I could be wrong) have an "installer" package that
knows the dependency source and can add them to the system similar to what
the protocol handler would do on a user click.

This does not have to be KDE-Debian specific, a solution to temporarily or
permanently add sources might be of interest to an apt using distribution.

Cheers,
Kevin