List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       Daniel Stone <daniel () fooishbar ! org>
Date:       2004-01-18 22:40:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:10:05PM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> One of the things that looks difficult on Linux is installing software.
> We as experienced Debian users know that the most simple way for installation
> is apt-get based :)
> So instead of the Windows model (downloading package, installing with
> per-application installer) we have an installation and configuration
> framework featuring update possibility.
>
> The problem are packages outside our usual apt sources.
> Now the idea or question is:
> can we come up with a schema for an URI for apt sources that can be put on
> webpages instead of the download link.
> So that, for example, I could go to sourceforge, search for a program, click
> on an "apt link" in the results and have it added to my sources list.

Or, alternatively, everyone could just upload to the one archive, and
people could pick what they wanted to take from that archive with
Kapture or something.

But nevermind that idea.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel@fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,