List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Live CD update
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2004-01-14 14:43:23

We were not able to get the Live CD stable position in time for me to get it
to the CD printers for Linux World NYC.  Apps on the CD crash that don't when
compiled fresh from 3.2 sources.  You can see the list in the BUGS file.

I was personally not able to help as much as I wanted, partly because I have a
dialup connection.  It's hard for me to get a CD to test--I have to go into
town to a friend's office and download it.

The folks at Credativ (Andreas and Ralf) have really been driving this
process, with Andreas putting in a lot of time.  Other contributors include
Marcin actively testing and Eva and Daniel M. (Apologies if I missed your
name ...)  Many of Andreas' hours have been funded by Credativ, which is very
generous--AFAIK, Andreas is the one-many show behind the Gnoppix CD.

One thing that has not been explicitly discussed is Credativ's intent w.r.t.
their Woody backports.  Personally, I love the idea of hosting them on D.
Stone's server and starting a repository that Klaus K can use.  However, I
personally have not discussed this with anyone at Credativ, and I expect we
will have to wait for Ralf to return to get clarity on this.  He is due back
on Feb. 1st.

Regarding translations, I would like to incorporate Kurt and Fabrice's
suggestions to the welcome_en.html document.  There are still issues with the
language chooser and there are also space issues re: the i18n modules (58Meg
in all!).  So there's not much to do on that front currently.

I'll probably be a bit slow in updating CVS as I have other tasks to prepare
for the LinuxWorld event.

Regards,

Mark