List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: [devel] Kalternatives 0.3
From:       Juanjo Alvarez <juanjux () progressive-comp ! com>
Date:       2004-01-12 9:54:25

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 05:17:15AM +0100, Henning Schröder wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A while back I started my own frontend to Debian alternatives.

:)

> Your implmentation seems more complete but I like my interface a little more
> because it is more compact.

Yes, in fact if you check the list archives you can see that the first
version of kalternatives also used combos for displaying the
alternatives, but I switched to a tree list with radiobuttons as items
mainly for two reasons:

1. It is easier to show broken alternatives and programs without hiding
them and without using colors as disabled items.

2. You can quickly see how many alternatives a given program has (with
the combo approach you have to open the combo to see that).

But your GUI also looks nice and, as you say, compact. If we can find a
solution for those two problems (like using cursive text for [1] and
adding a new column for the # of alternatives for 2, for example) a
combobox solution looks definitively better. Patches are welcome :) (I
will request shortly a CVS account, I'm just waiting for Ricardo to fix
his PyKDE Debian packages or PyKDE sources to compile with current
Debian Sid).

The tasksel-frontend also looks nice, altought I think that feature
should be integrated into kapture. What I liked a lot was your "Debian
Control Center" :)

I think we should continue in touch so we don't duplicate efforts, I was
thinking about writing a KDE frontend to modconf (which sucks in
text-mode IMHO) for example.

Juanjo