List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: ioslaves with *any* linux apps -> it works :-))
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2004-01-09 22:33:54

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 2004 20:57, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>>Now let's compose/discuss more of the screenshot's dramaturgy:
>>
>>* Could above explanation appear somewhere on screen? (like in
>>   a small kate opened, in red letters?)  Hey, we are approaching
>>   pure Unix recursion here  :-)
>>   [The screen estate to use for this could be done in the HTML
>>    composer part of OOo (OK, forget kate here), and the text shown
>>    should be written in English...  (another recursion!)]
>

> Sorry ?
> Don't understand.

The "recursion" bit was just joking. ("GNU is Not Unix".
"This screenshot of Alex explains this screenshot of Alex.")

I was just noticing that I was switching back and forth from your
mail to the screenshot: looked at screenshot, looked at explanation,
looked at shot, explanation..... most people wouldn't do that.

Now if the explanation was *included* in the shot, I wouldn't
have to switch back and forth; most people would much more closely
look at it.

I imagine we publish a story on recent KDE achievemnts in English
(similar to the pro-linux.de story of mine). The story includes the
shot and an explanation of the important points of it. Should
people visit the shot, they find a similar explanation again.

>>* Optional: is it possible to show the olaf.jpg in the konqi file
>>   manager window?
>

> main.html is listed in konqy.

Yes, I see. But I was wishing the olaf.jpg was also in the file
listing. So it is probably from somewhere else in the fuse_kio
path, or in an invisible part of the konqi listing. Just copy it
there (and it should appear between main.html and packages.html),
so that it convinces people the Gimp also worked via Alex' Cool
New Stuff  :-)  Currently it is not visible from the Gimp part
of the shot (the only "proof" is the output of "ps -ax".)

> Unfortunately the file name isn't really shown
> in OOo.

But part of the fish__ path is. That suffices.

> Or do you mean directly showing the picture olaf190.jpg (it's olaf ludwig
> winning a stage of the Tour de France, Abdu and Jaja are also on the
> picture :-)

No-no, it's alright, because the shot shows that OOo is using
the fuse_kio (3x evidence: the path visible in OOo -- the konsole
output of "ps -ax" -- the konq file manager list, which can be
verifiey by visiting www.neundorf.net as well as Gimp (only 1x
evidence: the upper right konsole -- no path -- no appearance in
konqi list).

I just want to make people understand and grasp more easily.

>>* Optional: is it possible for you to have the hacks kendy made to
>>   OpenOffice on your box? (AFAIK, kendy offers OO binaries, see dot
>>   story). Speaking about the "KDE/Qt OOo NWF" work here....
>
> The KDE widgets in OOo ? Or the KDE icons in OOo ?

I think his lates release includes both. I mean the "KDE OOo NWF"
stuff. Maybe it is only widgets. Maybe the icons are a different
matter.

>>* Optional: is it possible to have the hack David Sansome on your
>>   box? This would show the Gimp using a Qt or KDE style. Speaking
>>   about the "GTK Qt Theme Engine here"....
>

> This was the Qt gtk theme ?

Yesssss! (I mailed him your explanations to the list privately,
and sent him your script and .desktop files.)

I am in a little mail exchange with him, because I wrote to him
about his intention to host his stuff on sourceforge. But I believe
he'll soon put it into KDE CVS proper now...   ;-)

>>* Optional: is it possible to use "Plastik" (its name is the worst
>>   part of it) for the shot?
>

> It is plastik.

<Blush how="!!" who="kurt">
    Really? hrm-hrmmm...
</Blush>

>>Yes, I know, for great screenshots you just need an excellent program.
>>But to cover a lot of options for world-class, history-writing shots
>>you need an excellent program, good dramaturgy, a lot of time and Alex
>>:)
>>
>>But I really think the effort is worth it. The shot could serve as
>>an entry point to yet another story, published on one of the main
>>sites...
>>

>>>How to do it ?
>>
>>The screenshot could also show the URL of a site where you can download
>>the beta version of your stuff.
>

> All good suggestions.
> But a little bit much work for me :-/

As I said: "....a lot of time and Alex :)"

;-)

> I'd suggest to centralize all the stuff (qt gtk themes, kde OOo, fuse,
> libqtgtk, ...) so that it gets easier for everybody to install and test it.
> Maybe a new cvs module going together with a website ?

Probably the best thing to pool it all together. And the name could
be "kde-integrative", just as the mailing list someone (Phillipe Fremy?)
wanted to set up.

> Anyway, I'm about to leave, so, I'll be back monday.

Have a nice weekend!

Thanks a lot for the work with the screenie so far.

> Bye
> Alex

Cheers,
Kurt