List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Idea for Kapture
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2004-01-04 21:27:35

Paul Mallach writes:

> Hi!  I don't know if this should go directly to the kapture
> developers, or to the list, but perhaps other people would like to
> comment on this as well.

kde-debian-devel is the most appropriate.

> Kapture should provide an easy way to filter the available packages,
> so that the lists don't include packages that users normally
> wouldn't install on their own, but only because they are mentionend
> in a dependency.  So

> Basically try to ignore everything that is not an application.

Something like this is already planned.  Mornfall is currently
off-line, and so kapture development has temporarily stalled, but when
he comes back, this is one of the goals that we intend to work towards.

> This is better than (well, at least different from) the Debian
> Sections, because some KDE applications are not in the KDE section,
> but eg. in Multimedia, Development, ...

Yes, you should read up on the debtags system, it is intended to
replace the Debian Sections, and kapture is intended to use it.

We intend to filter out all packages that have library in their
debtags or sth like that, I'm not really sure about the details any
more.

> Maybe there could be (Simple|Advanced) modes for Kapture where the
> simple mode has fewer options (install/update and remove) and only
> offers KDE applications (with a visible option to show all GUI
> applications).

A separation between Simple and Advanced actions is also definitely
planned, but we are not yet sure about the specifics.

cheers
domi