List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: WebConfig
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2004-01-04 14:03:39

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 01:40 pm, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Regarding CUPS, I don't see why we would use the web administration
> tool, instead of the excellent KDE printing configuration tools that
> are already available, and which use the CUPS web stuff as the
> backend.

true, my bad.

The printer configuration kcontrol really needs some usability work...

> > With some clever CSS features you can automatically use the same
> > colours and fonts as the OS that the browser is running on:
> > http://www.phpfreaks.com/css_manual/page/ui.html
> There are a lot of different problems regarding consistency and
> usability arising from embedding a web based config tool in KControl,
> I would think.  Do you think it's feasible and worthwhile to try and
> solve them all, instead of taking another approach and trying to build
> a KDE based solution ?

I don't think we can solve them all by customising the web based tools. I
don't expect that. Building a KDE solution is great but would be a lot of
effort, while the web based tools exist already and could be (I hope)
customised to fit in with KDE. I'm suggesting a "pick the low hanging fruit"
kind of idea. :-)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/