List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Framework vs configurability Was: Control Center or separate
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2004-01-04 12:01:46

Claes Holmerson writes:

> - make python and other scripting bindings offically part of KDE
>   releases

kdebindings has been an official part of every KDE release I know, and
there is no reason this would have changed AFAICT.

> - support web-based technologies within the desktop. My questions
> regarding kpart embedding and links to .desktop files are related to
> this.  With this I mean: scripts together with HTML that interacts
> with things in the desktop.

As I already said, I don't like the HTML control center stuff idea,
because
1. It would require a lot of new technology to be put in place
   regarding translation, composing the HTML page.
2. There's imho no fundamental problem in the current approach that
   would be solved better with the HTML stuff.

IMHO, improving on KControl itself would be a better idea.

> HTML can often to prefer because it allows a more descriptions and
> explanations together with the data it presents.  Application labels
> and menus often become quite short and cryptic, while there is more
> space for explanations or even documentation in web pages.

There is no fundamental reason why the descriptions could not be made
longer, and why KControl could not be changed to allow more space for
them ( see my other mail and some of the screenshots posted here about
how I and some others would like KControl to look ).

> While building a word processor with web technologies is stupid, I
> think many kinds of configuration tools could be well implemented
> this way.

Have you looked at the current KControl modules ?  They almost all
have this sort of dynamic interaction that would be a horrible mess to
program with JavaScript.  A lot of them also require complex
interaction with the system.  I really don't see how you would
implement this in HTML.

cheers
domi