List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Control Center or separate application? Was: Kalternatives 0.2
From:       Claes Holmerson <claes () it-slav ! net>
Date:       2004-01-03 22:55:33

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Dominique Devriese wrote:

> Claes Holmerson writes:
>
> > Next, a specific question: is it possible to embed KParts in HTML
> > pages in Konqueror with the HTML <object> tag? Somewhat like java
> > applets.
>
> It is possible to embed KParts in HTML pages [1], however

Interesting!

> > If it was, it could be an idea to integrate parts of the
> > control center (individual control modules (?)) in HTML pages tailor
> > made for a specific users.
>
> You're making the wrong assumption that KControl Modules are KParts.
> They currently are not, even though it might make sense for them to
> be so.

Yes, probably.

> > Since it is easier to create HTML for most people, and more people
> > are knowledgable with it, I think we would see some interesting
> > prototyping of user interfaces in that case.
>
> Perhaps, but it would also be actually more difficult to do more
> advanced things like the ones that are done in many of the current
> KControl Modules.

I think it would be more difficult to implement interactivity of more
advanced kind. But I think it would be easier to create customized
interfaces. If a sysadmin would like to expose only a few modules, he
could create a html page embedding them, and then users could easier
find them.

> > I realise that there are important security considerations to deal
> > with, but perhaps embedded kparts could be signed in this scenario.
>
> KParts can be trusted, simply because they are installed on the user's
> system, by someone with the appropriate rights to write in one of
> KDE's prefixes ( $KDEDIRS ).

I have found that if I link to a .desktop file with the
<a> tag, the corresponding program will be started first after a warning
dialog is shown: "Do you really want to execute...". Is there any
difference in the level of trust in this case, compared to the one with
embedded kparts? It seems konqueror trusts such links less than embedded
kparts? (Since it asks this question).

I did not know about "settings:/". It was intersting to see the behavior
of a link such as

The ability to link to desktop files and embed kparts in html pages are
very interesting, especially for easy customization. I would make it easy
also to extend the interface with more descriptions.

Claes