List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Control Center or separate application? Was: Kalternatives 0.2
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2004-01-02 20:36:29

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 06:57 pm, Juanjo Alvarez wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 12:54:42PM +0000, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > Personally, I'm a fan of the way Apple and most of newer 'desktop' distros
> > (ArkLinux etc) are going
> Yes, that is exactly the idea I have in mind for the Debian-admin
> tool(s) I'm developing and others like the mentioned previously (kcron,
> kuser, etc),

mmm... I curious to know what you have been working on. A couple months ago,
before this whole UserLinux/KDE on Debian stuff, I started work on a set of
admin tools in python:

http://www.simonzone.com/software/guidance/

> an HTML view that can include icons and text in a nice
> layout explaining what the program launched by those icons do, very much
> like the Windows XP control center (which I think is very good, windows
> or not).

ArkLinux currently has a control center like this. It uses HTML 'screens' with
icons, so it's very flexible. The code is GPL IIRC. My first contact with it
was via a Mandrake package that Texstar made. He customised and packaged it
for Mandrake. I was impressed. :-)

> The reason for me developing right now in Python is that I'm about 4
> times more productive on it than on C++ and debugging is a lot less
> painful (python tracebacks rule).

Wonderful isn't it. :)

> > * Distros will want to hack and extend admin tools.
> I really hope the work we're doing on KDE-Debian can be picked and
> improved (and the improvements shared) by other Debian based
> distributions.

Admin tools wouldn't too Debian specific for the most part. (I hope). A
another big plus for tools in python is that it makes it easier for people
who have access to weird network and computer configurations, but may not
know C++, to be able to help debug the tools.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/