List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Live CD as a repository (apt internals)
From:       Marcin Pawlik <wapkil () o2 ! pl>
Date:       2003-12-30 0:37:07

On Mon, Dec 29 at 22:51, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Marcin Pawlik wrote:
>>On Mon, Dec 29 at 13:58, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>>
>>Generally yes but I don't think the mixture itself is the reason.
>
> But could a newbie (many newbies, reproducably) ruin their Debian
> stable system by running "apt-get <something>" twice or three times??

If for example has a habit of typing 'Yes, do as I say!' after

#v+
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
#v-

then definitely yes :>

Well, I believe a newbie issuing shell commands on root account can ruin
practically everything. Even if has access only to UMLed and then
chrooted washing machine ;) But with "stable" it will be considerably
harder.

[...]
>>IMHO it may be caused by really badly packaged unofficial stuff or by
>>incorrect installation. Did Klaus say how the errors looked like or
>>pointed to some user reports?
>>

> It is just something "generally known". You can find out more details
> by installing an orig. Knoppix on HD, using the script provided.

You know how impossible reproducing bugs can be. Of course only when you
want to see them...

I think when I find a few hours I'd rather start from looking on what's
in Knoppix mailing lists or wiki or whatever they have. Just thought
maybe there's no need to search.

> If you know (or find out) how to easily get round these problems,
> you'll find a grateful audience.
>
> In any case it is much-much better to create and maintain a repository
> of back-ported packages for stable and let Klaus use that.

Sure, but Sarge may not stabilize so fast and as I think we agreed some
time ago there isn't much point in focusing on Woody now. I hope the
repository for testing should do the job if only the additional packages
are OK and the installer and GUI package manager work correctly.

Regards,

--
Marcin Pawlik