List:       kde-cygwin
Subject:    Re: KDE startup error: cygkonq-4.dll; kdesktop;
From:       Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker () freenet ! de>
Date:       2004-03-14 0:14:36

On Saturday 13 March 2004 19:34, David George wrote:
> I’m running Windows XP Home with latest version of Cgywin.
>
> Upon typing in startx &
>
> KDE starts up.  I get a window with light blue-green background.  But,
> no menu bar.
>
> The problem could be with kdesktop or cygkonq-4.dll.  Please help??
> *** unable to remap c:\cygwin\opt\kde3\bin\cygkonq-4.dll to same address
> as parent

I assume you have installed kde 3.1.4 ? If not please upgrade to it.

This problem is caused by the cygwin's fork implementation and the windows
ordering scheme of loaded dll's. To avoid such issues the
scripts /opt/kde3/bin/krebase_... were introduced in kde 3.1.4. They are
tuned for operations on w2k and XP-Professional. I assumed also for XP Home,
so I'm wondering why this fails.
To solve this problem, some manual intervention may be necessary.  After such
a fault, please kill all kde applications and try the following commands

krebase -l /opt/kde3/bin/cygkonq-4.dll

Please reports the result of the above command in any way.

ipc-daemon2 &
Xwin &
kdeinit &

krebase -b 0x06000000 /opt/kde3/bin/cygkonq-4.dll
kdesktop &

If kdesktop fails again try another address for example

krebase -b 0x11000000 /opt/kde3/bin/cygkonq-4.dll
kdesktop &

krebase -b 0x14000000 /opt/kde3/bin/cygkonq-4.dll
kdesktop &

... You max check some more addresses between 0x06000000 and 0x40000000

Please reports if any of this case works, so we can add this to the scripts.

Ralf