List:       kde-cygwin
Subject:    Re: [patch] qlibrary_win.cpp
From:       Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker () freenet ! de>
Date:       2004-01-28 20:32:20

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 15:54, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 14:17, Holger Schroeder wrote:
Holger,

> > i don't understand what you need a template for here. the files i
> > "created" were based on the qt/x11 ones, and for the copyright stuff, i
> > simply removed the sentence, which stated, that people could use this
> > file under the commercial tt license. the rest of the license disclaimer
> > was not changed.
> >
> > this way we use qt/x11 under gpl and our work, which is based on that, is
> > under the gpl too. that should be ok for everyone.

There is a relating issue, which should be cleared about the copyright of
contributions. Are all contributions copyrighted by trolltech or by the
people, who are contributing ?

The win32 implementation of Qlibrary for example uses still the qt specifed
api, but it is rewritten.
My understanding is, that if i wrote a nontrivial part of a library, which
wasn't implemented before I have the copyright. (see kde libraries, which
contains several different copyrights).
The import point of this issue is, if the contributed code wouold be
coprighted by trolltech, they can do whatever they want, also using in their
commercial products, which is contrary your primary intention.

BTW: You should really try kde 3.1.4, is it much faster than kde 3.1.1 because
of the Xwin shm support.

Ralf

Ralf