List:       kde-cygwin
Subject:    RE: KDE-cygwin news from the linuxtag
From:       "Ralf Habacker" <Ralf.Habacker () freenet ! de>
Date:       2003-07-11 23:30:38

> --- Ralf Habacker <Ralf.Habacker@freenet.de> wrote:
> > But this doesn't matter, if you take a look into the qt/win32
> > roadmap on
> > http://cygwin.kde.org/qt2-win32/roadmap.php you can see that
> > we are currently in
> > stage 2 of the porting. So we can say that, Richard Lärkäng
> > has introduced this
> > stage. Whow !!
> >
> > I'm very impressed by this. As Holger has started the qt2
> > port, I have thought
> > about how this port should go to miminize the steps and the
> > needed efforts, but
> > I haven't thought that step 2 would be started at only half a
> > year after the qt2
> > port and how far the results already are.
>

> The roadmap seems to indicate that we want to complete (or
> nearly complete) qt2/win32 before getting into qt3/win32.  Is
> that correct?  I am sure that they are closely related and a lot
> of code can be shared.  But I don't see much of a reason to work
> on qt2/win32 at all.  Certainly some programs are written for
> qt2, but not many any more... and if they are, it would probably
> be better to make them qt3 programs.  Qt 3 was released almost 2
> years ago (Oct 2001).

Holger and I have talked about this on the linuxtag yesterday and came to the
same conclusion. We haven't got a statement from Richard yet, so we will wait,
what he plans are.
If he agrees with this too, we will let the qt2 port as it is in the moment and
concentrate on the qt3 port (and will update the roadmap).
If someone really needs a qt2 port, he can backport the qt3 sources.

The main reasons starting with qt2 was the lower complexitivity as qt3, which
allows shorte linking time and the possibility to study the internal behavior of
the noncommercial qt2.3 release.

Ralf

2. because of the smaller packa