List:       kde-cygwin
Subject:    RE: interesting not relating to qt and gpl
From:       "Chris January" <chris () atomice ! net>
Date:       2003-02-04 0:05:52

> >This is the biggest problem if we do our own native Windows port
> of Qt - it
> >will be a fork of the code. Trolltech's fears would be justified. I don't
> >think much at all of Trolltech's argument for not releasing their Win32
> >version of Qt under the GPL however, so I think we should press
> ahead. Then
> >again, I'm not a Free Software purist.
> >

> Hi chris, if you look into the source code, it consists of several
> thousand files (i didnŽt count them). in the qt source directory you
> have a directory src/kernel. in this directory there are fifteen files,
> which contain the whole platform-dependant stuff. for x11 they have the
> names *_x11.cpp, and we only create the *_win32.cpp which do the same
> things on windows. so this is not really a fork, we only add 15 files
> and modify the build system accordingly.
>
> i hope that in some time the trolls will release their 15 *_win.cpp
> files under the gpl, too. i think then they would boost their number of
> clients much more. i am here at the university of hannover and our
> computer science students have to work under windows xp and with office
> xp. many of them will install linux somewhen, but this step is much
> bigger as "simply" installing a kde with kdevelop on windows xp and
> being able to develop with it half an hour later. yes, i know we are not
> yet in a stage where we have an actual (3.1) version of kde which runs
> natively on windows, but this is what i want to have, perhaps we will
> get it done, weŽll see...
>
> i think with kde on windows we would even get more kde developers
> contributing to kde.

I have looked over the Qt sources before with a view to doing a native
Windows port myself. I mostly concentrated on the build system and tried to
adapt it to build using MingW and to enable the _win.cpp files. I was partly
successful in this, but that was a while ago and I'm not even sure if I have
the results to hand anymore.
I also set about looking at how to port the main classes but realised I
needed a better grasp of the Qt architecture beforehand.

Chris