At 02:19 PM 11/20/02 +0100, Ralf Habacker wrote: >On Wednesday 20 November 2002 09:39, Lisi wrote: > > I am reposting this because I did not get any reponses the first time, and > > I'm hoping there is someone out there who can point me in the right > > direction. I checked the FAQ and the archive, and if the answer was there > > I didn't realize it was relevant. > > >Sorry, we must have overseen your request, because we are busy with so many >things. Please note that this project was done mainly in our free time, so it >could that other thing are more important like earn money and so one. Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound accusatory, I didn't want anyone to complain about reposting and "spamming" the list with multiple posts of the same question. It was a preemptive apology on my part. > > > I am total newbie to Linux in general, and to both cygwin and kde, so don't > > take any knowledge for granted in your answer. > >At first I think the best is to buy a book about linux basic or search for a >linux resource in the internet. Done, I have a basic familiarity with using the command line and several tools like vi, cvs, gcc, etc. >Next see the cygwin user manual and faq for >further informations about cygwin. Also done, mostly over my head since I'm not really a developer, but still helpful. >Nexct you should try > >Linux tutorial - http://www.ctssn.com/ >CYGWIN User manual - http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html >The Cygwin faq - http://cygwin.com/faq/ >KDE quick start guide - >http://www.kde.org/documentation/quickstart/index.html I've browsed these sections, again, some of it was over my head but I got the basic gist. >If you are familiar with this stuff, you are ready to run kde. > > > I start Xfree86 with startxwin.bat, and then start kde with startkde. Lots > > of text scrolls by, the splash screen pops up and things progress to > > 'Loading the panel' and then I get a windows error box that says > > "kdeinit - this program has performed an illegal operation and will be > > shut down" > > >See http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde2/faq.php#D9 for informations about >how to check the kde start procedure in case of problems. I'll check this out and get back to you if I still have problems, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. > > When I click OK the box disappears but KDE seems to continue loading. I > > then get another error box (from KDE, I think) saying "Sound server fatal > > error: cpu overload, aborting" > > > > When I click OK, then it just hangs. > >You should disable sound support in kcontrol. How do I do this? > > > > Sometimes it begins loading the desktop (menu at top - File, New, > > Bookmarks, etc and icons at the bottom. But then it hangs and I can't click > > on any of the icons. > > > > I am running Cygwin 1.3.15-2 with setup 2.249.2.5, Xfree86 4.2.0, KDE-2 > > 2.2.2-b1, and QT-2 2.3.1-b1. > > >Which os are you running ? Win98 >Ralf >_______________________________________________ >kde-cygwin mailing list >kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org >http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-cygwin _______________________________________________ kde-cygwin mailing list kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-cygwin