List:       kde-cygwin
Subject:    Re: Can't start kde
From:       Ralf Habacker <Ralf.Habacker () freenet ! de>
Date:       2002-11-20 13:19:06

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 09:39, Lisi wrote:
> I am reposting this because I did not get any reponses the first time, and
> I'm hoping there is someone out there who can point me in the right
> direction.  I checked the FAQ and the archive, and if the answer was there
> I didn't realize it was relevant.

Sorry, we must have overseen your request, because we are busy with so many
things. Please note that this project was done mainly in our free time, so it
could that other thing are more important like earn money and so one.

> I am total newbie to Linux in general, and to both cygwin and kde, so don't
> take any knowledge for granted in your answer.

At first I think the best is to buy a book about linux basic or search for a
linux resource in the internet. Next see the cygwin user manual and faq for
further informations about cygwin. Nexct you should try

Linux tutorial                - http://www.ctssn.com/
CYGWIN User manual  - http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html
The Cygwin faq           - http://cygwin.com/faq/
KDE quick start guide   -
http://www.kde.org/documentation/quickstart/index.html

If you are familiar with this stuff, you are ready to run kde.

> I start Xfree86 with startxwin.bat, and then start kde with startkde. Lots
> of text scrolls by, the splash screen pops up and things progress to
> "kdeinit  - this program has performed an illegal operation and will be
> shut down"

See http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde2/faq.php#D9 for informations about
how to check the kde start procedure in case of problems.

> When I click OK the box disappears but KDE seems to continue loading. I
> then get another error box (from KDE, I think) saying "Sound server fatal
> error: cpu overload, aborting"
>
> When I click OK, then it just hangs.

You should disable sound support in kcontrol.

> Sometimes it begins loading the desktop (menu at top - File, New,
> Bookmarks, etc and icons at the bottom. But then it hangs and I can't click
> on any of the icons.
>
> I am running Cygwin 1.3.15-2 with setup 2.249.2.5, Xfree86 4.2.0, KDE-2
> 2.2.2-b1, and QT-2 2.3.1-b1.

Which os are you running  ?

Ralf