List:       kde-cygwin
Subject:    Re: Using KDE as default desktop under Windows
From:       David Fraser <davidf () sjsoft ! com>
Date:       2002-08-31 16:34:27

  I have an Athlon XP 1800+ with 256MB RAM (SDRAM 133).
KDE takes about forty seconds to start up, and for some reason the
splash screen
stays there for another minute saying "restoring session" (although it
is usable while
that is there). Without any apps running, there are 9 kdeinit processes
totalling 78MB of
real memory usage, one of which (presumable the main one) constantly
uses about 13-15%
CPU time, the others are idle. ksmserver takes about 7MB, knotify 8.5MB,
ipc-daemon 3.2MB,
xinit 3.7MB, XWin 17.5MB
It takes about 5 seconds to start konsole which takes 10MB memory, 8
seconds to start
konqueror which takes 13MB.
The start menus etc are all very usable, starting windows application is
just as fast as normal,
so once everything is started up its fine.
Compared to running explorer as the desktop plus X in a window, I don't
think there's much difference.

I'm switching to Mozilla under Windows to browse the web as I prefer it
but I tried Konqueror
a bit and it seems usable although some images weren't displayed (didn't
investigate).

I guess because I'm a developer what I really want is a really nice bash
command prompt
that I can use vim from and so if apart from kicker, konsole is really
the app that makes me want to use kde...
and it just feels so much nicer to have KDE on my Linux and my Windows
systems (I run the
two side by side)

The other thing I like about kde-cygwin is that I can run a remote
X-session under Xnest to my Windows machine
from my Linux machine (run Xnest :1 on the Linux machine, then do xhost
+ to enable it to connect, then on the Windows
machine, export DISPLAY=linuxmachine:1 and startkde). This is slightly
quicker to start applications etc than under Windows
so presumably it's cygwin Xfree86 that takes the speed.
Of course native Windows apps won't run like that although you can start
them up from there and they'll run
on the Windows screen.