List:       kde-cygwin
Subject:    Re: New Layout/Style of kde-cygwin website
From:       "Chris January" <chris () atomice ! net>
Date:       2002-06-27 21:59:35

> > I've checked in the sources under a new branch KDE-CYGWIN_WEBSITE_2_x
> > website/htdocs. Fell free to check it out local and setup an apache
> > server with
> > the following configuration (please change the path):
> >
> Try http://cygwin.kde.org/new/  and send any comments to the list
Using Mozilla, the News header text on the right of the overview page is
quite small compared to the size of the blue bar. Also the text is quite
hard to read on the blue background, because there is not much contrast
between the blue and the black.

Also, when I am navigating sometimes the page on the left I am on is
highlighted and sometimes it is not.
e.g. click Home and see that [Home] and [Overview] are highlighted.
click the Press Info link and see that only [Press Info] is now highlighted.

I think the Press Info link should be renamed Press Articles. Press Info
implies information about the project that the press could use when they
wanted to write about us.

In line with what you said before about separating content and layout, it
would be good to move the formatting information to stylesheets. Personally,
I would prefer if stuff like valign, colspacing, etc. were moved as well.
(Well, I would actually prefer if we were using the strict DTD, but I am
aware not everyone sees the point in that.)

Also, picking a nit, it is now deprecated to use tables for content layout
where they can be avoided. e.g. in the left hand nav bar, the content can be
laid out perfectly well without using a table using appropriate div tags.

Overall, I think you have done a good job on the design so far Ralph. It's
clear you have thought carefully about navigation and content separation.

Chris