List:       kde-cygwin
Subject:    Re: kde cywin on Win2K
From:       "Chris January" <chris () atomice ! net>
Date:       2002-06-12 9:32:39

> I've discovered cygwin and, since in my Company I cannot use Linux
> (sigh!), I'd like to be able to see "Windows from kde" ;-))
>
> So I'm asking you to help me, if possible, since I'm not an expert or a
> developer. If I was wrong writing to this ML, sorry for my mistake.
> If this ML is also for simple users, I can subscribe it.
>
> I tried to install cygwin,xfree (both working now !!),kde and, after
> several efforts, now I can see the ksplash starts. The problem is that
> after some seconds the X server shuts down . I found on web FAQ a
> similar problem and I followed the suggestion:to change the setup in
> windows register to mount the "disks" in binary mode.
> Even with this change, I can see the disk c,d,e mounted in binary mode,
> but "partition" /, /usr/bin, /usr/lib are always in text mode and
> ksplash is still stopped with the msg :
>
> kdeinit: launch -> dcopserver --nosid
> kdeinit: Launched DCOPServer, pid = 1060 result = 0
> _KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
> iceauth:  creating new authority file /home/Administrator/.ICEauthority
> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
> DCOPServer self-test failed.
> kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
>
> Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
> connect() failed: : Connection refused
>
> waiting for X server to shut down
>
> May be You have some tip, thanks in advance in any case.

What version of the Cygwin DLL are you using?
I believe the answer in the FAQ that you wre following is slightly incorrect
(will verify and correct if necessary). Meanwhile try this slightly modified
solution:
For each subkey under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus
Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2:
Change the flags values to 0x0a (decimal 10).

Regards
Chris