List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: ntpdate in kcmclock ?
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2001-09-05 18:42:02

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on pro-linux.de someone popped up with the idea to set the system clock with
> ntpdate. Anyone willing to add a button to kcmclock to retrieve the current
> time over ntpdate ?  Of course, the button should only pop up when ntpdate is
> installed and have a correct error reporting if the machine has no network
> connection; also the ntpdate servers should be configurable. Another matter
> is wether ntpdate is available on all UNIX versions.

IMHO, ntpdate is the wrong solution for boxes with permanent network
connectivity. They should use (x)ntpd for it. As should computers with
radio clocks.

For dialup boxes, ntpdate is
the right solution but a button in kcmclock seems wrong (except, maybe,
for dial on demand). Hosts with dialup connectivity should have
(x)ntpd in ip-up.

So the right solution seems to be:

1. For permanent connectivity
A configuration thingy that calls ntpdate once to synchronise the
local clock with the server because (x)ntpd complains very silently
if the time difference is to big. Second, it configures (x)ntpd (very
easy as long as you don't face very special circumstances). Third,
it makes sure that (x)ntpd is started at boot time (after the network
is up, of course ;-).

BUT: Doesn't every decent Linux distribution have an option it its
configurator for starting up (x)ntpd? They don't have it for
confguring it, though. But it's a one-liner, really

2. For dialup connectivity
A checkbox in kcmclock for inserting a call to ntpdate into ip-up if
such a line isn't in their. Unchecking removes the line. Or maybe an
option for kppp. Dunno. I don't use kppp.

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 249249
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org