List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Moving Cervisia into main cvs
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-09-03 14:46:53

Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Richard Moore wrote:
>
> > As discussed here previously Cervisia will be moving into the main cvs
> > repository (in kdesdk). I've been trying to contact Bernd to arrange a smooth
> > move (including the revision history etc.) but I've been unable to obtain a
> > reply. Since he has already agreed that the move should go ahead, I think the
> > time has come to just import the latest sources. Unless I hear any
> > complaints, I'll do this at some point this coming weekend.
>
> I don't know which mail you are referring to; it may happen that I drop
> relevant ones from time to time, and I'm sorry about that. But just last
> week I responded to one from you with the comment that I don't see the

I didn't get this response.

> point in making applications depend on unstable libraries. Cervisia users
> use KDE 2.2 at best, many of them still use 2.1 or no KDE at all. It makes
> no sense to withhold improvements from them. I have nothing against you
> porting it to KDE pre3.0 in the cvs, but then you have to take responsi-
> bility for it. I will continue to make release updates for the KDE 2.x
> version, _if_ my time allows it. I'll surely not switch to a development
> version of kdelibs.

Supporting both KDE 2.x and 3.x in the same codebase is trivial - the
version I imported already does it. This isn't the same as the KDE 1.x
to KDE 2.x change, it's really very easy (porting kicker and all the
applets and extensions only took me an hour or so). There is no issue
with making standalone releases of the cervisia package from the cvs
that will work fine with 2.x.

Cheers

Rich.