List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KColorDialog (everybody loves screenshots)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-08-29 18:01:41

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 10:35:50AM -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 August 2001 05:18 am, Lenny wrote:
> > 3) I removed the color-name because it's really redundant. Since
> > color->color-name mapping doesn't work (if you manipulate a color, the name
> > of a matching named-color doesn't get recognized) and the color changes
> > when you chose a different palette, the color-name only worked in
> > conjunction with the named-color-palette => redundant information.
>
> Redundant means that the information is available through other means
> already. Ths is not the case, the color name is additional information and is
> not available by any other means. Therefore it should stay,

Correct argument, Lenny showed us not that its redundent, but more why its not
correctly implemented and will (for practical reasons) never be. This is not
called redundant, its called a bug or unwanted feature.

That is why I don't agree with your conclusion that it should stay, there is
no extra value in keeping it.
And in the end a value that costs more then it is wearth gets a call for
redundancy ;)

> > 5) I removed the "html:"-label, because users who don't know these
> > hex-strings, won't know html either and get no real information. This makes
> > it possible to group the color-patch and the hex-string closer to each
> > other, and result in a more compact dialog.
>
> It's common UI practice to label input fields. That is not something that
> should be sacrificied because you have problems with a layout.

The argument against your would be that the '#' is the label in this case,
its just part of the textfield now..
But as it would be really nice to also be able to type 'cyan' or 'red' or
similar; Lenny, what about using some of that free space right of the
colorpicker to place this label (and maybe the textfield itself as well)