List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KPrintAction proposal
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-08-28 8:19:57

> Excellent idea IMHO
>
> Although, now that I look at the screenshot... I find it a bit confusing to
> have a 'Print' menu item and another sub-menu right next to it which shows
> printing items as well (yes, the icons help a bit with distinguishing, but
> still :)
>
> I'm not sure but maybe it'd make sense to not only technically group
> 'Print' and 'Export' (like in the implementation they'd both connect to
> a similar slot, I guess) but also GUI wise.

Please don't miss the point. Here, you're commenting the example, not the
KPrintAction itself. Of course the menu entry could be placed elsewhere,
on the toolbar, with a separator, or whatever! This is not important.
What's important is the possilibity to add an action providing a quick
access to a specific kind of printers: specials, regulars, or both
(that's why there's 3 static functions).
I won't commit the changes to Kate/KWrite, that's the decision of the
app developer to use this new action or not. What I'll commit is only the
action (located in kdeprint library).

So there's still 3 questions left:
1) what would be the standard location (will add it to ui_standards.rc)?
2) would the print dialog popup? What I have in mind is to setup internally
   a KPrinter object with the default options for the selected printer, and
   emit the signal without popping up the print dialog. If the user want to
   change some options (nup, page selection, ...), then he can still use the
   regular "Print" action.
3) what would be the word used? I have 3 proposals:
	- Export
	- Transfer
	- Send
   Note that the text for the printer entries cannot be adapted: it is the
   printer name. If you define a special printer named "Print to PS", it
   will appear with this text in the popup menu.

Bye.
Michael.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM