List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Sidebars? (Re: Electric Borders are back!)
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-28 4:52:08

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:22:34 +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:

>> And please rename "Electric Borders" to something else, without trying nobody
>> (at least not me) can imagine what this means. How about "Active desktop
>> borders"
>
>I still don't know what it means (being honest here!), calling a feature a
>special kind of borders does not tell me what the feature does.

Totally agreed. So while we are at it: How about renaming the
"Sidebars" (in Konqueror and KDevelop) to "Navigation Panels" as
suggested by several people in the doc writers team?

*  The name "sidebar" says nothing about what it does
*  Those areas are certainly not "bars" in the way we are usually
talking about bars in KDE (tool bars, status bars)
*  People who don't know the term "sidebar" already from eg Netscape
will probably confuse it with the button bar of the "Sidebar TNG"

At any rate, I think we should find something more descriptive. The
single fact that Netscape use a certain term doesn't automatically
justify its use in KDE.

Regards,

Thomas

---