List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: EEK- kmix master volume control popup gone!
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-27 19:40:42

On Montag, 27. August 2001 21:00, Lubos Lunak wrote:

<snip>
> > him, uhhm, you should go to the next computer shop (which is still a
> > couple of miles away from where he lives) and buy a three-button mouse.
> > There's many users who are confident with a (Microsoft) two-button mouse
> > and it is very unlikely you get them to invest into a three-button mouse
> > just to use the mixer :))
>
>  Hmm. How about using the KMix applet in Kicker, which is IMHO even better
> than docked KMix ( with only the master volume column visible, all other
> hidden ) ?
I think that is the worst option :) because it uses to take up more space, is
harder to find and harder to handle. What the average user wants is just
that: single click on the speaker icon: pop up the master volume control and
have the option to mute the speakers. Another way to get the full mixer,
usually on double click.

For whatever reason one wants to be against emulating MS behavior, I think
that in *that particular case* they have done a *good* thing. I got my first
computer 5 years back with Windows95 installed and have never before used a
personal computer. Ok, I may be one of the more intelligent :)) but however,
that speaker icon in the tray is *that* intuitive, you just can't beat it.
And whatever solution one may come up with, it will definetly not be as
intuitive as that one, besides that it would force the user from a windows
platform, which are today's converts usually, to re-think completely even
about simple things. So I repeat myself (have looked at windows again to
verify that): please, please make the master volume control come up on
*single* click and the mixer full control on *double* click with the left
mousebutton. You could add popping up the full control with the middle
mousebutton still to satisfy Unix users to make use of their middle mouse
button.

Please.

Ralf

>  Lubos Lunak

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org