List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: EEK- kmix master volume control popup gone!
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-27 7:49:47

On Montag, 27. August 2001 06:36, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Sunday August 26, 2001 04:43, David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 27 August 2001 02:39, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > Windows users, sure.  But Unix users have had middle mouse button
> > > functionality for ages, like on the root window.
> >
> > That's for advanced functionality (stuff that you can do another way).
> > You can get the window list from many other places,
> > you can open a new window (from a link) in konqueror using the RMB menu,
> > etc.
> >
> > Simple things should be simple to access - and the master control volume
> > is a very basic need on the desktop, it should be accessible via LMB or
> > RMB, not MMB.
> >
> > /me who doesn't feel like explaining his mother or father that they have
> > to hold both buttons of the mouse at the same time - how unintuitive is
> > that ?
>
> Well I guess I don't see harm in making it on the left, I'd suggest that
> just as a MacOS mouse is inappropriate for Windows, a Windows two-button
> mouse is inappropriate for Unix.
It doesn't matter what is appropriate or not. I agree that a three-button
mouse works better on Unix, that is undisputable. (now comes the BUT part :))
Anyway, I have a friend from the shooting club who moved to Linux from NT4
and uses SuSE 7.2 which comes with KDE 2.1. I helped him on the phone to
track down a problem why he doesn't hear anything with kscd, so the mixer is
one possibility to go. He was *totally* confused with the full mixer widget -
because KDE 2.1 had that design error to behave like the current CVS does.
The showing of the master volume control only like in Windows *has* its
merits and it should be done this way. And I can't tell him, uhhm, you should
go to the next computer shop (which is still a couple of miles away from
where he lives) and buy a three-button mouse. There's many users who are
confident with a (Microsoft) two-button mouse and it is very unlikely you get
them to invest into a three-button mouse just to use the mixer :))

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org