List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Sugestion: KStdErrorMessages
From:       Pedro Morais <pmmm () rnl ! ist ! utl ! pt>
Date:       2001-08-25 22:45:26

Hi!

Here is a sugestion for KDE 3: factor common error messages into kdelibs.
Lots and lots of diferent applications are saying the same thing using diferent
words.
Grep the pot files in kde-i18n/templates to see what I mean.

Error messages for stuff like "permission denied", "could not open file", etc are
all over the place. Most of these are shown in message boxes, so it
might be nice to extend KMessageBox with "sorry", "information" and "error"
method that took a constant like KStdErrorMessages::FILE_PERMISSION_DENIED.

BTW, I decided to write this mail after translating kdeaddons/domtreeviewer.pot
in which of the 15 messages, 6 (almost 50%!!) could have been avoided using
something like I described -- so I'm sure we, the translators, will thank you.
--
Pedro Morais - LEIC/IST - pmmm@rnl.ist.utl.pt http://www.rnl.ist.utl.pt/~pmmm
Página Portuguesa do KDE http://kde.poli.org morais@kde.org