List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kicker extension
From:       John Firebaugh <jfirebaugh () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-22 17:13:00

On Wednesday 22 August 2001 09:49 am, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> > I'd say we still need to move public header files like this into a
> > standard place and ensure it can remain bin compatible (d pointers
> > etc.), has API docs, follows the standard naming conventions etc.
> > though.
>
> I completed the previous code to be able to add this dynamic menu also
> as a button into the panel (with a popup menu). Now it's working OK.
> You can see all the results here:
>
> http://users.swing.be/kdeprint/kicker_ext1.png : menu extension
> http://users.swing.be/kdeprint/kicker_ext2.png : add extension
> http://users.swing.be/kdeprint/kicker_ext3.png : panel extension
>
> Now, I'll think I'll wait for some reaction from a real kicker
> maintainer to know what to do with the code (throw it, commit it or
> adapt it before commiting).

I think this would make a very useful addition to the applet / extension
paradigm. What I would suggest is making in kdebase a "libkicker" similar to
libkonq. In libkicker would be some or all of the code currently in the
kicker/share directory and some form of this panel menu code. I would also
like to move the kpanelapplet and kpanelextension code from kdelibs/kdeui to
this new library. This way we'd have a unified library supporting the three
types of panel plugins: applets, extensions, and menus. Also less clutter in
kdelibs and no need to link the shared code in kicker/share into multiple
applets. Michael, could you look at providing a public interface for this
addition similar to kpanelapplet.h and kpanelextension.h? I'd suggest
kpanelmenu. :)

later,
John