List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    The end of an era!
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-15 19:10:51

Well, maybe not that dramatic, but I did just move the XML-RPC daemon from
kdebase to kdenetwork AND changed it to not start by default.

The original reason for putting it in kdebase and starting by default was so
that people would use it.  The reasoning was that if it wasn't there, then
nobody could depend on it and thus nobody would use it.

Well, hardly anybody used it anyway.  The "bug reports" about open ports
*far* outnumbered the success reports of people using it.

I could make an argument that when it gets SOAP support and that takes off
more, then it'll be used more... but that's just vapor until it happens.
Since KDE is first and foremost a pragmatic project, that excuse doesn't fly
in keeping kxmlrpcd where it was.

So I moved it.  It's still available for those that *do* want to use it,
you'll just have to explicitely look out for it.
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop