List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: ioslave locations in the source tree
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-14 18:31:18

On Monday 13 August 2001 15:45, aleXXX wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think now would be a good time to move some of the the ioslaves to better
> locations.
>
> IMO only kio_file should stay in kdelibs (maybe gzip and bzip2, I don't
> know). All network related ioslaves should be moved into kdenetwork (ftp,
> http, smb, smbro, finger, gopher, pop3, smtp, nfs, imap, ldap). Not sure
> whether audiocd could go into kdemultimedia or kdeutils or if kdebase is
> best.
> Of course http, ftp and smb are very essential, but only if you have
> network connection, and then also e.g. kmail is very essential.
>
> What do you think ?
> Somebody who has access to the server would have to do this.

   If there isn't now, there will be code in kdelibs that directly uses
kio_http (and soon kio_ldap).  If they aren't in kdelibs, then people will
be required to install kdebase just to use apps linked to kdelibs in some
cases.

BTW:  Is anyone working on kio_ldap?  I'm going to need some serious
functionality from it for 3.0.  In particular it needs to  be ported to
TCPSlaveBase too so that it can use TLS.

--

George Staikos