List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: 64 bit file support
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2001-08-12 5:04:24

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 12:37:48AM +0100, Richard Moore wrote:

> We should definitely hide the 64 bit type behind a typedef. We
> should have another for offsets too IMHO.

Why two?

Why not just use type off64_t or the like?  Thus ending up with
KIO::off_t.  And put it in kio/types.h (autogenerated so that there's no
mess of preprocessor defines or mess of dependencies for this header such
as config.h). Then convert everything requesting a length or offset to use
KIO::off_t.  This way the LF support can be hidden behind various ifdefs
in the file ioslave and the file ioslave alone.  The other ioslaves should
be even easier to deal with.

- alex