List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: 64 bit file support
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-10 23:26:29

On Friday 10 August 2001 06:59 pm, shaheed wrote:
> Please don't use "long long" - Digital UNIX, Solaris 8, Irix 6.5.recent and
> possibly others use "long" to mean 64 bits with the default ABI, but this
> lack of precision is just not helpful. I suspect that off_t will work
> provided we check that sizeof(off_t) == sizeof(off64_t). If not, I prefer
> the KIO::filesize_t (unsigned?) or perhaps KIO::offset_t (signed?) concept.

The problem is that we can't include config.h in our API header files.
Maybe we can work around that by installing a different header file depending
on some configure test and map KIO::filesize_t to a 64 bit integer if we can
find one (either long or long long) and to a 32 bit integer (long) if we
can't.

Cheers,
Waldo
--