List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: visual feedback
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-08-03 15:52:08

Frank Dekervel wrote:

> Marc Mutz <Marc.Mutz@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
>
> > What about people like me that have enabled auto-hide for the panel?
> > They won't get it unless they happen to want to start an app just then.
>
> >The right way would be to use KNotify. If that's too limited (I know
> > that it might be - it currently still is for KMail), then enhance it
> > instead of coming up with yet another idea on how to get the user's
> > attraction. In KNotify, she can select which kind of events she wants
> > to be notified of and how. This is so much superior to "flashing
> > taskbar icon" or "use a kicker applet".
>
> yes, but how do i draw attention to a _specific_ window ? if i have 10 chat
> windows open, and only one of them is to be read, i don't want the user to
> iterate over all the windows to see wich one. Maybe i should use a msn-like
> minibox in the right corner of the screen. Putting the right window into
> foreground is also no option, it annoys and what if it happens on a different
> desktop ... (thats a problem with flashing icons too)
>
> I think the best idea up to now is let a systray icon flash, and direct the
> user to the right desktop/window when he clicks on it.. (users with autohide
> will probably have to enable sound, so they know something happent, move
> their mouse to the taskbar and click on the right icon)

I think flashing the window icon is better as this will highlight a
single window (via the taskbar/kasbar etc.). It is also possible to
read the icon geometry for a window and display a popup next to the
taskbar icon, which might be nice if you need to show more detail than
'look at this'.

> P.S. If knotify were to be extended to be able to run programs, it would be
> really nice if i could specify 'festival_texttospeech %1' or
> 'dcop KYahoo KYahooIface sendMessage a_nick %1' (be able to use arguments)
> as a notify action. I could use festival to say 'you have new mail from
> blabla' eg...

That's what we want in KDE 3.

Cheers

Rich.