List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: sound server fatal error in 2.2release
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-08-01 11:31:20

   Hi!

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 07:17:11AM -0700, Falk Brettschneider wrote:
> I haven't got a sound card on one of my machines.
> After a total CVS rebuild + reinstallation + deletion
> of all temp. files I got this message on KDE login:
>
> "Sound Server fatal error"
> "Error while initializing sound driver. /dev/dsp can't
> be opened (no such device)"
>
> Maybe a showstopper.

Well, I consider it pretty harmless. If you have no soundcard, then the
default settings, which are

 - start artsd on KDE startup
 - show artsd errors with message boxes

are simply wrong for you, and I think the user can be expected to use
kcontrol to turn off artsd (which is not very useful without soundcard
anyway).

That it didn't occur with previous versions of KDE is due to the fact that
we had no end-user-visible error reporting at all, but I think it is good
that this changed. The error message you mention should be able to help
somebody who has a soundcard and who wants system notifications to get an
idea why it doesn't work (artsd can't know whether you have misconfigured
your kernel, or whether you really have no soundcard).

So, if anything, I could imagine that to make this easier to the user, I
could imagine that the dialog which displays the error message could also
offer to go to the artsd configuration in further releases of KDE. That way,
if you don't have a soundcard turning off artsd would only be three clicks
away.

But as this requires translations, it's a post-2.2-issue.

   Cu... Stefan