List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Settings vs. View
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-07-31 22:21:40

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 23:39, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2001 01:58 pm, Lenny wrote:
> > They would profit from the not so correct version.
>
> No, they wouldn't. A user may not notice the underlying concepts but you
> are to run into deep trouble if you, as developer, don't keep them in mind.
> Imagine a situation where a single mainwindow has two views... each view
> can now get his own "view" settings, but the "settings" would apply to the
> mainwindow as a whole.

Here a "view" menu makes sense... if it acted like that. The current view
menus do much more than just affecting the view, that is where the problem
lies. If I have two views in Konq and I change the view settings in one view,
only that view changes. Excellent! But if I open a new window, new view or
even a new Konq instance those changed values are taking into account there
as well! I can hardly call that "per-view" settings anymore, you are changing
_defaults_ here...

What I proposed was to have all the view options in the settings dialog as
well. View options are then _never_ persistent with regards to rc files, only
user profiles (may) store them.
Changing the settings in the settings dialog OTOH should immediately update
all 'non-customized' views and additionally affect all new views.

As a convencience option you can put a "Save as default" option in the view
menu, the _only_ way to make view settings persistent. This should be
convenience though, the settings dialog should have the same options as well.

As for toolbars and such: those are not "per-view" but "per-window" settings
and hence belong in the Window menu. Again, changes are _not_ persistent
there unless you "save as default" or save a user profile. Options there
should, again, also be in the settings dialog where they _are_ persistent.

Result: consistence. Anything persistent is _always_ available in the
settings dialog and anything in another menu is by definition non-persistent
unless you explicitly say so.

Ok, my 2 credits are up, insert coin now to speak up ;-)

Martijn