List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Settings vs. View
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-07-31 21:39:51

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 22:58, Lenny wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2001 21:08, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Then again, view is more about the presentation of the content, while
> > "Settings-> Show xxx" is more about the user interface of the
> > application.

> > With the view menu you control how much information you get to see, with
> > the settings menu you control the user interface. Different things.
>
> IMHO gui should be a real no-brainer. As you said, at some point in time
> the user wants to _control_ something. Why does he have to think about what
> to control and decide upon that where to look?
> Of course merging all the options in one menu-item wouldnt honor the
> technical aspects perfectly.
> It's like "Styles" and "Themes" which are technically also more correct
> than just merging them both into "change the design". But users don't code
> in general and don't understand the difference. They would profit from the
> not so correct version. Another example is "configure desktop" and
> "configure background" for kdesktop, by the way.
>
> The day kde starts to truely separate look'n feel from implementation, is
> the day it matured.

I fully, fully, fully agree here! Too much KDE parts IMO still look like a
frontend around the implementation instead of an implementation somewhere
behind the frontend. Changing these issues is hard, because we are all
technicians and we are all
1. used to the design and hence find the current approach just as logical
2. used to the current implementation and hence don't see the flaws in it
and
3. used to the implementation and hence don't want to change it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
But who sais this ain't broke?
Or who sais this is broke?
I do, should we count votes? ;-)

No, seriously, I think there can be some improvement here, but the problem is
that this entire topic is _highly_ subjective and philosophical, so I really
doubt if we can reach any consensus here. I would be more surprised if we
_don't_ maintain the status quo than if we do...

Martijn