List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Settings vs. View
From:       Lenny <kudling () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-31 18:36:14

> - If you want to change a persistent setting you'd look in the settings
> menu first, to find out next that the option is not there.
>
> - If you want to change something non-persistent you'd look in the view
> menu, since it's temporary and not forever\

Yes, that's the current situation and it basically means to confront users
with implementation details. Ok, even when they set a non-persistent option
and on next start-up this option isnt restored... nobody would really care.
Running around in menus looking for the right place _definitely_ sucks. Look
at konqueror: do you think anyone gets the reason behind
"Window->Show Sidebar"
but
"Settings->Show Menubar" ?

The users doesnt care if it's persistent or not, he just want to hide/show an
object at this point in time.

> Summarizing, in the current situation the view menu applies to a _single_
> view, whereas settings apply to the entire app.

Hm, when i disable the menubar via Settings->Show menubar it doesnt get
disabled in a different konqy-window either.

> - I personally think a settings _menu_ is wrong, since there is a settings

I agree, besides "Show X" entries, it most of the time contains only a single
"configure blah". Ok, except for illogical entries like in kmail: "Configure
kmail" and "Configure filters" => Joe Sixpack: "Ah, filters dont have
anything to do with Kmail..."

> Generating thumbs over a dialup ftp link is not quite a visual thing,
> though showing the same thumbs is. Where should we draw the line then?

Ok, put it all in "Settings" then, but when you as a developer wonder "where
should we draw the line" an usability alarm-bell should ring. It means, it's
not obvious and the user will be confused. The solution is to simplify things
to an extent your local police allows you to. Better put different items
(e.g. persistent/non-persistent stuff) in one place than putting similar
things in different places.

0.02
Lenny