List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Actions for ktip
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-31 1:31:40

I've added the concept of 'actions' to my copy of ktip.

This adds the following features:

* Ability to do a DCOP send when a tip is shown.
* Ability to do a DCOP send when a tip is hidden (moving to another tip,
  closing the window).

I'm now adding support for running DCOP sends when a link is clicked
in the tip text.

Why is this interesting now ?

I think many people would like to see some kind of highlighting of
the K menu when KDE is first run.

This allows that to happen. It works quite nicely here, I think.

When I start ktip, it opens the K menu and shows this text:

Welcome to KDE!

If you want to see what facilities are offered by KDE, the K menu
is a good place to start looking.

The menu should be open in the bottom-left of your screen. If you
don't see it, click the "K" button at the bottom-left of your screen
using your mouse or press "Alt" and "F1" on your keyboard.

To close the menu, click anywhere on the desktop or press the
"Escape" key on your keyboard.

Something to think about for 2.2.1 ?

Two more points:

I changed the text in the 'tips' file a great deal. I had to do this
because beforehand tip parsing was ad hoc. I changed it to use QDom.

This gives two benefits:
* More functionality in tips
* Tips can be validated.

But also one side-effect:
* Translations will be quite messed up now. The text (semantics)
  hasn't changed, just the layout and some of the HTML. Necessary
  to let the XML parse properly, I'm afraid :(

I'd also like to change the current tip-selection behaviour of ktip.
Currently, it's random. I'd like it to be sequential and to remember
where it was last time you looked at it.

Rik