List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Styles vs. Themes?
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-28 16:39:13

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand the following ktip string correctly. But I'm
pretty positive it will totally confuse users as to what the terms
"styles" and "themes" really mean in KDE:

---
The difference between window manager styles and old-fashioned themes
is that the former even reflect window titlebar color settings from the
control center and might implement different features.
---

Whatever this exactly means, it surely does not make the difference any
clearer to the users. And although I re-read it several times I still
think it even has the whole thing backwards. At least in KDE it's
obviously themes what changes titlebars, not styles.

Since we cannot make this clearer at the moment (message freeze and
all) I'd say the string should be removed from ktip.

Objections? Corrections?

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/