On Thursday 26 July 2001 23:57, Martijn Klingens wrote: > On Wednesday 25 July 2001 23:10, Andre Alexander Bell wrote: > > What about having xml-config files with all options in it for the > > $KDEDIR/share/config so that the admin can see and change everything and > > furthermore to stare the xml-diffs winthin ~/.kde/share/config > > I think performance will be killed if we start using XML, unless there is a > global config server daemon. But looking at the Gnome mailing list archives > I see that the code to make such a server failsafe is very difficult to > write, so I wonder if we want it. It would be nice in some way, because it > would allow us to use any kind of backend for config storage (the reason > Gnome does it this way). But the technical implications tend to make me > vote against it. We can already use any kind of backend, that's what the KConfig/KConfigBackend separation is for. > > Using XML without a server process is probably too slow, so it would be > all-or-nothing I fear. I agree, without having another ksycoca like cache, XML is too bloated here. Rich. > > Martijn