List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: once again app startup speed - good news :-)
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-07-26 20:51:13

On Thursday 26 July 2001 20:10, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> On Thursday, 26. July 2001 00:54, aleXXX wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > maybe you read it on the "dot", as I said I'd have a look at the slow
> > icon loading. Well, I had a first very rough look, and this one reduced
> > the time needed for KoMainWindow::setRootDocument() for the application
> > formerly known as killustrator from 2.3 to 1.5 seconds on my system :-)
> > What I did was to add a QDataStream cache file which caches the paths
> > where the icons were found. So when an app is started the second time,
> > most icon locations should be found in the cache. Reading the cache is
> > very fast (far less than 0.1 seconds). It still needs much work,
> > preferable from somebody with better knowledge about icons, but it seems
> > it's worth it :-)
>
> Is it possible to introduce something like an icon server? So one separate
> process that is able to load icons and caches their path in memory. It
> might reduce server memory load because icons need to be in ram only once.

Hmm, and how should the apps be able to use these icons from another process ?
I'm also not sure whether the communication between the processes would be
much less overhead compared to the access() calls executed currentrly.
Currently the icon loading is IMO the slowest part of KDE.
And of course the linking....

Bye
Alex