List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: The Road Ahead
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-07-26 16:21:54

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 21:27, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2001 10:57 am, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > I do understand this would be a radical change, and it might take a while
> > to work in practise.  Given the userbase of people who already run CVS HEAD
> > code, it might even be more practical to reverse the branching, so that
> > HEAD is the stable branch, and new development is done in a new -UNSTABLE
> > branch.
>
> HEAD is already the stable branch. For large changes we tend to make seperate
> branches already. See e.g. the KSIRC_TEXT branch in kdenetwork/ksirc which
> contains unstable new ksirc code. (That's why I'm cursing on ksirc so often
> :-)
>
> The big disadvantage of branches is that you have to merge changes between
> branches so we rather not use branches when it isn't absolutely necassery.
>
> Compiling KDE is already bad enough, having to keep two branches up to date
> would seriously reduce my productivity.

I can only agree with Waldo here (heh, won't be the first time :).

I'm about to import the future libkotext into a separate branch, its own "unstable"
branch. Don't want it in the translations, is the main reason :)

KDE is too big for having 2 branches of everything. Better branch only where necessary.