List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: KConfig changes for 3.0
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-07-25 20:38:21

Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Wednesday July 25, 2001 05:10, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 02:02:23PM +0200, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > > My concerns regarding this come forth from the removal of "Fade out
> > > applet handles" from kcmkicker. Since it has no GUI entry and is not
> > > present in the default saved configuration file, there is no way to
> > > know whether the option exists but to be familiar with the code.
> >
> > IMHO the right fix is not to enrich the kconfig file but to add a proper
> > GUI.
>
> There are those who argue that it is impossible to have a proper config
> GUI that contains every possible configuration item.
>
> A raw tree display, showing every configuration option, both
> GUI-configurable and not, would be a compromise between having a monster
> config GUI, and removing a lot of configuration options completely.

Hi,

I agree this would be very useful.  An editor like the win regedit or
kxmleditor where all the permitted keys (and hopefully their permitted
types) are displayed and the user can enter data.  One could even have
an "advanced" button in the main GUI configuration that takes you to
this dialog.

Ciao,

Dre
who is trying not to be too excited about this b/c of what happened to
David ;-)