List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: The Road Ahead
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-07-25 20:20:03

On Wednesday July 25, 2001 10:57, Lauri Watts wrote:
> * Developers never have to jump through hoops to make bugfixes that
> don't upset translations, because
> * The feature freezes will be much easier on both sides, developers
> won't be stifled by them, and there is more chance they will be
> respected, giving docs and i18n a much more stable platform to be
> working in.
> * Translators and Documentors, many of who are new and/or inexperienced,
> don't have to run a bleeding edge codebase in order to contribute,
> because code isn't merged back to -STABLE until it is reasonably stable.

I have to like the idea just for these reasons.

But, while it does seem to work for FreeBSD, the situation with Debian
gives reason to be concerned about our ability to make timely releases.
And it's Debian's decentralized development is probably more comparable to
KDE than FreeBSD.

On the other hand, we haven't exactly gotten complaints about our
development cycles too long.  In fact, we leave our users marveling, and
some developers grumbling, at how quickly we release!  So, perhaps the
danger of slowing our release speed isn't a strong argument against this.

> So, asbestos suit is on, evaluate away.

This isn't IRC, I'm sure we can be calm, eh?

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.