On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 03:19:12PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote: > On Wednesday 25 July 2001 14:48, Simon Hausmann wrote: > > Ohh, right. I see your point now. Hm hm. There's one disadvantage with > > always writing out configuration values: They get written into the local > > config and if you do that for each and every entry you > > > > a) get full blown config files in the user directory, containing redundant > > information > > > > b) loose the ability for a system administrator to change global values, > > because the global changes never get applied to the apps as for each > > field there is an entry in the local file. > > Well... We have both these problems already, as soon as you change some > settings most apps write _all_ settings and not just the changed settings. > This is current tense, this is _now_ ;-) But that's after the user decided to customize the configuration, it's not done by default. > What we need is a way like Rob proposes to set each and every configurable > value to "use default" so it cascades up the chain until it is defined > explicitly somewhere (ultimately the default in the C++ code). _Only_ if a > user changes a value it will be set to a 'real' value, and the user also > needs a way to revert back to the sysadmin's default. That is, not to the > same value, but to the sysadmin's value, so if the admin changes the default, > the user's config immediately picks up the change. Reverting back should IMHO be done by providing a 'default' button in the GUI (in the app or in a kconfig editor) , which deletes the local entry. > We do introduce two new problems here, though, but those are solveable, I'm > sure: > > 1. Like you said we must make sure compatibility isn't affected. Probably we > need to extend the API and have to live with the fact that old apps don't use > this. Mark the old method as deprecated and remove it in KDE 4.0. Or even > remove it now unless we #define KDE_2_SOURCE_COMPAT somewhere or so... Just > some thoguhts. I was less thinking in terms of the C++ API but rather in terms of the actual config file format. > 2. It will put some strain on GUI design to allow a user to switch back to > the default. Listboxes, radio buttons and similar controls can be extended > with an extra option and checkboxes can be made tristate, but for other > widgets we have a challenge to solve :-) Yes :) Bye, Simon